It’s that time of year again…. Summer has landed!
Whilst the sunny weather feels like such a welcome treat after a long winter, it can also feel stressful when trying to protect your baby/ child from the sun.
Here are some tips which we have pulled together to help enable you to relax in the sunshine:
· Babies under 6 months should be kept out of direct sunlight – if you are out in the sun use parasols attached to your pram to create shade over your baby. If you are using a carrier, use a lightweight blanket or large sun hat to create shade, always ensuring their face/mouth is not covered.
· Try to keep older babies out of the sun as much as possible, avoiding being in direct sunlight between 11am and 3pm when the sun is at its strongest.
· The NHS recommends applying a sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 and to check the label to ensure it protects against UVA and UVB rays. A lot of sunscreens offer SPF 50. The sunscreens for babies / children will be less likely to contain additives which irritate the skin.
· Apply the sunscreen regularly, especially when your child is playing in or near water. Reapply at least every 2 hours and every time they come out of the water. Use a waffle robe when they come out of the water to dry them off and protect them from the sun https://www.eleanorcharlesengland.co.uk/product-page/organic-cotton-waffle-style-robe-coming-soon
· When going in water in the sun choose swim wear which covers their skin as much as possible and try to make sure they wear a hat in the water. Ensure the back of their neck and shoulders are covered.
· Make sure your child wears a sun hat with a wide brim or long flap at the back to protect their head and neck from the sun. You can view our sun hat selection at https://www.eleanorcharlesengland.co.uk/hatsandhairaccessories
· Ensure your child stays hydrated and drinks plenty of water. Give plenty of fruit and salad as these will help keep their fluid levels up.
· Try to locate paddling pools and their play areas in the shade wherever possible.
· Protect your child’s eyes with sunglasses which offer UV400 protection. All Eleanor Charles sunglasses offer this protection, you can view our full sunglasses range at https://www.eleanorcharlesengland.co.uk/polarisedsunglasses
Hopefully these steps help you to be able to relax and enjoy the sunshine whilst staying safe. We will always try to have a SPF 50 suncream on our stand at trade shows, so please feel free to drop in and use some if you need to.
Wishing all of our lovely customers and followers a happy and beautiful summer!